The Baker Group, in conjunction with Hudson Civil Products used the new Uniculvert system for a huge underground storm water detention storage in Northern Tasmania. The system was used as part of a wider onsite storage facility (including large shafts) designed to resolve detention challenges on a complex 13 townhouse development site.
- The works formed part of the development, positioned across multiple levels along a new subdivision. The project was located on a greenfield site and included development of a new access road and the extension of an existing street.
- The Baker Group was engaged to undertake construction of the entire civil infrastructure consisting of new gravity sewer pipelines, pressure water pipeline installations, storm water drainage (with on-site detention), an access road including embankment excavation, retaining walls and other related works.
- The works included the installation of two significant storm water detention tanks. The first comprised three 2.4m diameter concrete tanks in series connected via a 300mm diameter pipe. Due to the site's steep terrain and restricted access, The Baker Group formed a temporary crane pad to minimise the lift reach and thus the required size of the lift crane.
- The second tank was constructed using Hudson Civil Product's new Uniculvert system. The modular sections can be connected to form the required size for any application. The detention tank measuered 11m in length, 2.4m in height and 3.6m in width, positioned in a 5m deep excavation.
- The installation required careful planning including geotechnical advice for excavation stability, a lifting plan and assembly of the Uniculvert sections in collaboration with Hudson Civil Products.
The Uniculvert structure was completely modular, constructed in precast components ready for install. With the clever jointing system, careful planning by The Baker Group around access and excavation and the overall ease of unit installation, the crew were able to install the entire structure in just one day.
Project Engineer, The Baker Group
Hudson Civil Products have been working closely with clients and designers on various projects to provide large and small scale detention storage for storm water. Projects have included use of Hudson Civil Product's smaller off-the-shelf detention tanks (1KL and 2KL often in series or in satellite layouts), large bore concrete and plastic pipe options, custom pits, tanks and shafts and even for large storage, the UNICULVERT tank structures as a complete custom solution.
On site storm water detention helps relieve pressure on municipal Councils' existing and new infrastructure by helping to slow or minimise flows during rain events by detaining or retaining the storm water collected during such events.
Precast concrete detention units offer fast, cost effective installation combined with the strength and durability benefits of precast concrete. The units are simply installed online quickly with minimum fuss. If larger storage is required multiple tanks can be close-coupled to create purpose built storage systems.
The Hudson Civil Products UNICULVERT System