The reconstruction essentially lowered the existing Stormwater Detention Basin at the Kings Meadows High School. The project included;
- Earthworks associated with base preparation.
- Levee and concrete spillway construction.
- Concrete inlet and recapture pits.
- Installation and altering of storm water and sewer infrastructure.
- Oval reconstruction including installation of drainage and irrigation.
During 2015 the Launceston City Council undertook redevelopment of the Kings Meadows High School oval, creating a new detention basin designed to cope with a 1-in-100-year flood event. The new detention basin was designed to hold storm water during significant rainfall events and limit the impact of flash flooding in the Kings Meadows retail area. Two 4m-tall stainless-steel penstocks were installed, each weighing 750kg. The penstocks control the flow of water through electrically powered actuators.